About Us -
The original village was developed around a blockhouse and was called Jersey Town until about 1777, when Caleb King, son-in law of Richard Swayze, laid out lots around his plantation home and named the place Kingston. Here is a short history of early Kingston. 1813 Kingston Plat Map. "Kingsville" in 1820.
Our Settlement Story by Karen O'Neal in Country Roads Magazine, 2014
Natchez Democrat interview with Gary O'Neal and Polly Tarver Scott, 2014
Early Settlers & Some of Their Ancestors
- John Swasey Descendants Chart 2011 by Polly Tarver Scott formatted by Karen O'Neal [pdf]
- 1773 Original Settlers from Chester, New Jersey
- 1790 List of Tobacco Growers in Spanish Natchez District
- 1792 Spanish Census of Natchez District (See OH Homochitto)
- 1794 List of Debtors to Monsanto & Company, Natchez, Mississippi Territory
- 1816 Inhabitants of Adams County, Mississippi
- 1818 Tax Rolls of Adams County, MS
- 1821 Gideon Hopkins estate around Kingston [pdf]
- 1850's property map around Kingston: Farrar, Smith, Swayze [pdf]
- Swayzes in Early America: Reassessing History, by Jim M. Swayze, 2014 [pdf]
- Genealogy of the Swasey Family--Benjamin F. Swasey, 1910 [pdf]
- Descendants of the Jersey Settlers, Kingston, Adams County, Mississippi by Henry Blackburn Eaton, 1950 [pdf]: Surnames from the Table of Contents: King, Swayze, Farrar, Eaton, Sojourner, Gibson, Isaac, Dougharty, Sisson, Forwood, Dake, Noble, Wallace, Horton, Harrison, Howell, Doubt
- Elizabeth Putnam married Samuel Swayze, Jr. (1737-1800, son of Rev. Sam) & mother of John, Daniel Darling, James, Samuel P. & Elizabeth Swayze Leland. Her likely Putnam ancestry. Sam Jr's 1800 probate.
- A Settlement of Great Consequence: The Development of the Natchez District, 1763-1860. Lee Davis Smith, Masters Thesis, [pdf]
- In Search of Barnabas Horton Jacqueline Dinan's blog; Dinan's Book
- Descendants of Barnabas Horton, 1876 [pdf]
- The King Family of Southold, Suffolk County, New York, 1595-1901 [pdf]
- Searchable Early Southold database: Includes Swayze, King, Horton etc., who settled in 1600's in Suffolk County, Long Island (NY). Use "sounds like" to search the database. [Why “German”? – Besides the English many Germans/Dutch settled early on Long Island.]
- The Salmon records; a private register of marriages and deaths of the residents of the town of Southold, Suffolk County, N.Y. 1684-1759. This book is referenced in the DJS books. Lots of Swayze—spelled Swesey or Swesy, and Colman, Griffing, Luce, Luse, Budd, Cory, Corey, Howel, Howell, etc.
Some Descendants of Jersey Settlers
- Nehemiah Carter Descendants 1725-1814
- Dougharty family by Floyd Boyett
- Thomas Eaton/Sarah King Descendants, [pdf] Sarah was daughter of Caleb King & Mary Swayze who was daughter of Richard Swayze.
- Major Richard King (1760-1815) of King's Tavern
- A Settlement Called Leland [Sicily Island, LA], About Elizabeth Swayze Leland, daughter of Rev Sam’s son Samuel; sister of James, Daniel D, John & Samuel P. ; Octavia Obedient Leland Duncle Descendants, Elizabeth Swayze Leland’s daughter.
- Anne Matilda Farrar McCaleb Mrs. Sidney Briscoe McCaleb, Sr.
- Alexander Montgomery 1760-1812 (wives Catherine King & Lydia Swayze)
- Diary of Alice Viola Phipps-1865 , wife of Daniel Smith Farrar. by Carla Trum Mercado. Hannah Swayze Ireson was a granddaughter of Rev. Samuel Swayze. [pdf]
- Pipes Family History & Genealogy
- Master Gardener Felder Rushing, descends from Rev. Sam's son Elijah Swayze & Polly White. Video interview in Felder's home garden.
- Francis "Fuzzy" Howland Swayze in Kerr County, Texas. Descends from Richard Swayze & Hannah Budd.
- Marcus Desha Swayze (1913-2012) Capt. Marvel comic book illustrator - LPB video interview. Descendant of Richard Swayze & Sarah Horton.
- Patrick Swayze & Lisa Niemi 2003 video interview about their "One Last Dance" performance in Houston.
- Rachel Swayze Bell O'Connor (1774-1846), descendant of Rev. Samuel Swayze through his son Stephen Swayze & Rachel Hopkins.
- Rebecca Malinda Swayze b. 1806, daughter of James Swayze, grandson of Rev. Sam [Nancy Todd's ancestor]
- Coach Thomas King Swayze descendant of Richard Swayze Jr. & Hannah Budd.
- Truly and Allied Families: includes Whitney, King, McCaleb, Montgomery
- Wyatt Waters (artist) and Swayze Waters (football) Both descend from Richard Swayze & Sarah Horton's daughter Deborah Swayze who married Israel Luce.
- Dr. Stephen Webre, Professor of History at Louisiana Tech University. Descends from Richard Swayze & Sarah Horton down through Alexander King Farrar & Ann Mary Dougharty.
- Megan Young, Miss World 2013, granddaughter of Ella McCaleb Young. Video 2013
- Dan Tarver, Kingston
Early Ancestors & Their Descendants who did NOT come to Misssissippi
· Will of Judge Samuel Swayze 1759, Morris County, New Jersey
· Tory cousins: Caleb Swayze Sr. (son of Judge Sam) and sons Caleb Jr. & Isaac. More about Isaac.
· Swayze Cemetery Restoration Project, Hope, New Jersey; Friends of Swayze, Inc.
· William Henry Seward (1801-1872), great-grandson of Judge Samuel Swayze through his daughter Mary Swayze Seward. Senator, Governor, Secretary of State who purchased Alaska - "Seward's Folly"
- Aaron C. Swayzee (1817-1876), descends from Barnabas Swayze, son of Judge Samuel Swayze. Swayzee, Indiana.
- John Cameron Swayze (1906-1995) broadcaster, descends from Barnabas Swayze, son of Judge Samuel Swayze
- Four US Presidents descend from John Swasey & Katherine Kinge [2 Harrisons, Taft, Harding]
- New Jersey Vietnam Memorial Wall of Faces: Joseph J Swayze & Richard D Swayze ; Traced Joseph's father Daniel B. Swayze back to mid-1800’s in Chester, NJ; Richard descended from Barnabas Swayze, brother of Rev. Sam & Richard
- Some Frank Swayze lookalikes.
- Jason Clarke Swayze, newsman, publisher (Great-Great Uncle of past president/cousin Frank Swayze—descends from Judge Samuel's son Israel Swayze who stayed in NJ)
Resources--Louisiana & Texas
- Celebrity cousins -- more Holden, Hulse, Swayze
- Re-enacting Judge Samuel & Penelope Horton Swayze - 2014, Chester, NJ
- Smithland Plantation photos & history: Some owners - Smith, Thorn, McCaleb, Tarver
- "Swazie pomme gris" apple tree variety discovered in Ontario by a Col. Swazie (son of Caleb, a son of Judge Sam)
- Horton descendant Rebecca DeMarino's fiction book about Barnabas & Mary Langton Horton. [Takes liberties with facts]
- Death of an Overseer: Location - Oakwood Plantation, Kingston, 1857; victim Skinner buried in Kingston Cemetery
- Where the Dead Lie Buried - Stories about a few people buried in small cemeteries near Kingston
- African American Story from Kingston. Mentions a Dr. Farrar. Malagasy is a language of Madagascar, Africa. Story is related by Gail Milissa Grant in her book, At the Elbows of My Elders: One Family's Journey Toward Civil Rights. Lizzie in the story is Gail’s gt-grandmother.
- Notebooks of Trader George Rapalje in Natchez District: His brother Jacques Rapalje is listed among 1773 original settlers from Chester, NJ, along with Rev Sam & Richard et al. 1768 painting of George, Jacques and siblings
- Battle Report of Brig. Gen. Wirt Adams, C. S. Army, commanding operations against Natchez, written Dec. 7, 1863, after skirmish near Kingston.
- Ontario, Canada, Swayze Reunions facebook; Their Swayze Reunion Song; Canada's United Empire Loyalist database
- "An Horrid Snow" 1717, Long Island - Swayze & Horton ancestors endured this storm.
- Big 4: Comparison of Ancestry, FamilySearch, Findmypast & MyHeritage
- Extended cousin chart
Feedback: Thank you for visiting our website. If you have links to suggest, please contact DJSKingstonMS@gmail.com